SSP Doc Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GOOD TO GREAT

+2
MShamburger
Klittles
6 posters

Go down

GOOD TO GREAT  Empty GOOD TO GREAT

Post by Klittles Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:47 pm

THE FIRST POST OF THE NEW YEAR!
Please do not use single sentences to discuss these questions. You will need to take time to put careful and considerate thought into it. Remember, what you put in, is what you get out.
Always take into account that going from good to great is a choice. I cannot believe that ANYONE would want to stay an OK, or average teacher. If so,  then you may be in the wrong profession and definitely the wrong organization or at least with the wrong supervisor. We should all have an internal desire for growth.

The responses are due by Monday, February 6th.

1. a. In this chapter, what metaphor does Collins' use to describe the effectiveness of simplicity in transitioning from good to great?
   b. Explain the metaphor.

2. Describe three intersecting circles to guide a good company to great results.

3. Explain your organization (SSD) in the simplest terms as possible.

4. What do you believe is your organization's collective passion? What is your individual passion? Are they closely connected? If not, why?

5. What specific thing does SSD do better than any other school district? Explain.

6. If you could pick one thing that would keep or make your organization run better and more effectively, what would it be and why?
Klittles
Klittles
Admin

Back to top Go down

GOOD TO GREAT  Empty Re: GOOD TO GREAT

Post by MShamburger Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:19 pm

1. a. In this chapter, what metaphor does Collins' use to describe the effectiveness of simplicity in transitioning from good to great? The Hedgehog and the Fox
  b. Explain the metaphor. According to a Greek parable, the fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows only one big thing. Collins relates this to companies by showing that the successful companies are focused on one main purpose, whereas the unsuccessful “pursue many ends at the same time.” Once a company defines its concept, it can (like the hedgehog) pour all its effort and resources into achieving that end. Other companies chase fads or run in fear of markets, and (like the fox) never achieve excellence.

2. Describe three intersecting circles to guide a good company to great results. The three circles are “what are you deeply passionate about?”; “at what can you be the best in the world?”; and “what drives your economic engine?” The key is to determine at what your organization can be the best (and also at what it cannot be good). The successful companies set goals based on this understanding.

3. Explain your organization (SSD) in the simplest terms as possible. SSD is a school district that reaches out to special needs students that are in special situations or circumstances and provides them with educational and other services to help them to reach academic and life goals.

4. What do you believe is your organization's collective passion? What is your individual passion? Are they closely connected? If not, why? I believe SSD’s passion is to assist those who are in need, and to help them succeed in life. Individually, I am passionate about helping others. Certainly educationally and economically, but also spiritually. I think the passion of the organization and my passion are closely linked.

5. What specific thing does SSD do better than any other school district? Explain.
SSD reaches out to the least among us and tries to lift them up. SSD goes the extra mile. Virtually all special education departments reach out to those in need in their district; SSD helps those in need who are also in dire situations such as prison.

6. If you could pick one thing that would keep or make your organization run better and more effectively, what would it be and why? If we could focus on each individual student and not be distracted by burdensome paperwork, etc that comes from both SSD and DOC. Sometimes it seems we devote more time to filling out reports and completing other data collection than we do actually servicing those we are called to assist.

MShamburger

Back to top Go down

Post by SWallace Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:08 pm

1. a. In this chapter, what metaphor does Collins' use to describe the effectiveness of simplicity in transitioning from good to great?
b. Explain the metaphor.
The metaphor the author uses is “The Hedgehog vs. The Fox.” In the Greek parable, it states “The Fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing.” A fox “knows” many things; pursuing many different directions and ideas (never focusing in on one concept). A hedgehog, however, takes a complex idea and focuses in on just simple idea. What are they best at, what can they do better than anyone else?

2. Describe three intersecting circles to guide a good company to great results.
The ability to have a “hedgehog” mentality involves 3 ideas/concepts: 1) What can you be best in the world at? What can you do better than anyone else? It is more than just being “good” at what you do. 2) What drives you economic engine? I interpreted this as, what gives you the best bang for your buck, lol. 3) What are you deeply passionate about? I loved the point that the author brought out; It is not about becoming passionate about what you may be doing, but instead only doing things that you are passionate about. If you are not “passionate” about what you, then your company/job performance/etc will be mediocre at best.

3. Explain your organization (SSD) in the simplest terms as possible. SSD provides vital educational opportunities to students/clients in very diverse and challenging situations. We reach out to TEACH those that have often been “forgotten” or sometimes “intentionally ignored.”

4. What do you believe is your organization's collective passion? What is your individual passion? Are they closely connected? If not, why? I believe that SSD’s overall passion is to be a model school of excellence while providing the best educational learning opportunities to a very diverse and unique population. My passion is to educate every student to the best of my abilities and to instill in them a desire to continue their education once they leave here. I feel that you are never too old to learn something new EVERYDAY!

I feel that SSD does an exemplary job of reaching out and educating what is often a population that has been forgotten, overlooked, or sometimes ignored beyond the mainstreams of other educational programs.
6. If you could pick one thing that would keep or make your organization run better and more effectively, what would it be and why? I have to agree with what Mark said regarding the time spent on filling out paperwork, reports, and documenting takes away from time that could be utilized in developing and implementing strategies and techniques for the actual education of instruction.
SWallace
SWallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenya.Huggins Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:20 pm

Klittles wrote:THE FIRST POST OF THE NEW YEAR!
Please do not use single sentences to discuss these questions. You will need to take time to put careful and considerate thought into it. Remember, what you put in, is what you get out.
Always take into account that going from good to great is a choice. I cannot believe that ANYONE would want to stay an OK, or average teacher. If so,  then you may be in the wrong profession and definitely the wrong organization or at least with the wrong supervisor. We should all have an internal desire for growth.

The responses are due by Monday, February 6th.

b. Explain the metaphor. Based on this chapter's allegory, the fox knows a myriad of things, while the hedgehog has only mastered one. Collins uses this to identify successful businesses as opposed to unsuccessful by teaching that a corporation who invests in the study of one idea or design will thrive better than one who utilizes multiple avenues.

2. Describe three intersecting circles to guide a good company to great results. I would say the three circles most necessary would consist of utilizing what said company is passionate about, what it can be the best in the world at and what has greater value to the population at large. These three keys are the stepping stones fit best in the lockes that would open the ability to organize a company's potential to achieve its goals and prosperity.

3. Explain your organization (SSD) in the simplest terms as possible. SSD is an organization of teachers who teach in the most non-traditional and in the least favorable conditions. We service a sector of student who under normal circumstances would have been forgotten about or, "the students in the rear of the class".

4. What do you believe is your organization's collective passion? What is your individual passion? Are they closely connected? If not, why? I believe my organizations collective passion is to teach these students who are in these challenging situations an circumstances to the best of our ability. My individual passion is to use the environment that I'm in with my students as a audience not only for academia, but also as a catalyst for this individual to become a functioning part of society upon his return. I think both are similar in that the very existence of the SSD is to boldly go where most teachers won't. They are very closely related.

5. What specific thing does SSD do better than any other school district? Explain. I think we as an organization handle ourselves in a very professional manner. During my tenure of working with the state, I have worked for several agencies. I will say by far, that SSD has been the most professional mannered one in the way that they treat there employees.

6. If you could pick one thing that would keep or make your organization run better and more effectively, what would it be and why?
I would make our educational mission more tailored to what we really do and the population that we really service. I feel that we are more of professional remediators, taking a student, probing his prior knowledge and attempting to plug holes that he may have missed along the way so that he may be successful on his TABE and or HiSet test. Tailor our jobs to the mission.

Kenya.Huggins

Back to top Go down

GOOD TO GREAT  Empty Good to Great Chapter 5

Post by CAnderson Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:41 am

b. Explain the metaphor
       The metaphor used by Collins was based on a Greek parable in the world was divided into hedgehogs and foxes.  The fox knows a  lot of things, but the hedgehog knows one thing and has a  central focus.  The hedgehog simplifies complex ideas and sticks to them.  The fox pursues many things at one time.

The three circles of the hedgehog concept are as follows:
            a.) what are you passionate about?  discover your passion and the passion must be genuine.
            b.) what you can be the best in the world at?  understand what you can be good at and what you are not good at
            c.)  what drives your economic engine? determine what would have the greatest impact

3. Explain your organization (SSD) in the simplest terms as possible.
         Special School District was established in 1979.  The goal was to provide the best education possible to those who were in the most need--disabled, at-risk and troubled youth.  As the name implies, it is a collection of special schools for special needs.

4. What do you believe is your organization's collective passion? What is your individual passion? Are they closely connected? If not, why?
        SSD's passion lies in educating and providing structure for our youth.  The district's passion, I believe, is closely aligned with my own.  That is why I've been a part of the district for lo these many years.

SSD has a singular focus, somewhat like the hedgehog.  Their focus is on some of the most needy and under-served in our state.  SSD provides educational services in places (prisons, hospitals) where not all educators seek to go.

I believe SSD could run more effectively if the organization would accept more input from the everyday worker bee (teachers, paras, etc.).  They could have a council similar to the one discussed in the chapter.  Get the right people in the right place and allow the people to have input.  Allow the group to engage in discussion and debate without fear of reprisals.  Additionally, accept suggestions as made by the councils.
CAnderson
CAnderson

Back to top Go down

Post by wojames Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:01 pm

1.  The metaphor Collins uses to describe the effectiveness of transforming from good to great is "The Hedgehog and the Fox."  The parable describes the fox as being scattered or diffused because they have many ends at the same time and sees the world in its complexity.  Hedgehogs have the abilities to simplify the world with all of its complexities into a single organized idea, a basic principle or a concept that unifies and guides everything.  For the hedgehog anything that does not relate to his ideas has no relevance.

2.  The three intersecting circles that guide a company to great results are:
1.  What you can be the best in the world at or equally important what you cannot be the best in the world at.  
2.  What drives your economic engine?
3.  What are you deeply passionate about?  In order to have great results you must have all three circles.   Collins states that if you make a slot of money doing things which you could never be the best, you'll only build a successful company - not a great one.  If you become the best at something , you'll never remain on top if you don't have intrinsic passion for what you are doing.  Finally, you can be passionate about something, but if you can't be the best at it or if it doesn't make economic sense, it might be fun to you, but great results will not be produced.
3. In simplest terms SSD provides a second chance to  many at risk and troubled youth who fallen through the cracks, have been removed from their normal home environments, and placed in correctional or mental health facilities.

4.  What do you believe is your organization's collective passion?  What is your individual passion?  Are they closely connected If not, why?
SSD's passion is to ensure that each student has a safe, positive, and individualized learning environment that allows them to accomplish a level of academic success and personal growth.  My individual passion is to assist the students that I serve in becoming equipped with some of the academic, social, and interpersonal skills that they will need in order to adapt in society upon release from this facility.
5.What specific thing does SSD do better than any other school district?
SSD takes students that have been emotionally broken and academically left behind and tries to restore them and rebuild their hope and belief in themselves and in those that they come in contact with.
6.  If you could pick one thing that you would keep or make your organization run better and more effectively, what would it be and why?
I would choose to keep and build upon time devoted to our students.  At times sharing the load of duties with DOC/SSD becomes overwhelming as a teacher.  This also has a negative impact on our students.
wojames
wojames

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down