SSP Doc Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good to Great: Chapter 2

+4
CAnderson
SWallace
MShamburger
Klittles
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Good to Great: Chapter 2  - Page 3 Empty Re: Good to Great: Chapter 2

Post by Kenya.Huggins Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:15 pm

SWallace wrote:Response to Kenya:  
Kenya, i really struggled with answering this question.. in fact, started to take the "easy" way out because I had already responded to my quota of "5 responses" lol.  But, I kept coming back to what you said, "what matrixes do we utilize when deciding to cut the hand off to save the whole body. Is there a point where we realize that a student just isn't going to get it or do we keep going." I think many times we are faced with a client or situation, where we feel that all that can be done has been done and it is time to call it what it is and move on. In fact, I have been feeling this way myself over a client of mine.  However, the more I think about it, and I was reminded of what Denise said at our last PLC, that she feels like a mother or grandmother to these young offenders... I put myself in that position and ask myself "if this were my child, would I want someone to quit or give up on him?"  I know that's not exactly what you are asking, but it is where my mind went... I don't think as a True Educator we can make those types of decisions, to just stop educating them because they are not getting it.... if that is the case, then maybe I need to revise my response to the question ... Can I be a Level 5 leader ????
I think yall situation is a little different. Yall are in the situation where you deal pretty much one on one with a student. So I understand you and Ms. Carol dilemma. But the rest of us have others in the class with whom we have been constantly preached to and sort of even threatened that if we don't me our SLT mark, there will be consequences. So then the moral dilemma comes into play. Do I spend extra time and with this student so that he gets this skill, while sacrificing the others? Now, mind you i'm only playing devils advocate for the interest of the blog. As a teacher I know none of us would ever give up on one of our students, but this topic plays in hand to what the author stated when he sold the mills. Is one students growth worth the stagnant growth of the group?

Kenya.Huggins

Back to top Go down

Post by CAnderson Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:28 pm

Response to KLittles

I think you do possess a great deal of the 5 attributes that you mentioned. Since meeting you (about a year ago) I have found you to be consistent and transparent. You certainly are fair but tough. I believe that you listen to the opinions of others and take them into account when making decisions. I believe you to be a reasonable person and on your way to being a great leader. Smile
CAnderson
CAnderson

Back to top Go down

Good to Great: Chapter 2  - Page 3 Empty Response to Kenya

Post by CAnderson Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:33 pm

Kenya,
I always like reading and hearing what you have to say. You always have a great perspective on everything.
CAnderson
CAnderson

Back to top Go down

Post by CAnderson Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:40 pm

Wanda says: The author describes a group of people - a large group that have the potential to evolve to level 5; however their capabilities have been ignored or buried - but reside within them nonetheless. Under the right circumstances they begin to evolve. Please list/explain instances where either you or your students have fallen into this category.

Wanda,
For the most part, my students are not here very long. If they are here for an extended period, that means that they have some degree of legal incompetence. I am not sure, therefore, if they will be able to reach their potential. Those that leave after a short period of time have a greater potential of maximizing their capabilities. Unfortunately, in many cases, their potential may be buried because of bad decisions and actions.
CAnderson
CAnderson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3